What you’ll hear today is something I’ve never done on the show before. I’m going to actually read a chapter from Naked Communication: Courageously Create the Relationships You Really Want, the book that I released in October of 2016. After reading the chapter, I’m going to tell you a few more stories about what I thought regarding this topic since writing the book almost two years ago.
We’ll touch on a lot of points in this very short chapter, but at the heart of it is that “The happiness and fulfillment you seek does not exist in a vacuum. It lives in relationship with others.” I still believe in that today as much as I did two years ago. Our relationships really are the life force behind our experience of being alive.
How we communicate matters and only you have control over how you express yourself in all areas of your life.
- We have to understand ourselves best if we expect anybody else to understand us and relate to us the way we want to be related.
- It’s important to really get clear on how you’re currently communicating and know that you can tweak, adjust, or transform completely how you communicate in your life.
- You have to consider the myriad ways that you already communicate, not just in conflicts – though that’s a key area, but in expressing love, offering your ideas and making requests.
- The clearer you are about your own communication, the better you’ll be at building awesome relationships.
- Knowing yourself leads to growth and balance.
- All day every day you are communicating.
- Communication from others are just words, not truths. You can choose to adopt them when they serve and inspire you or let them go when they’re bullshit and keep you disconnected.
- How you communicate directly impacts how you show up in the world around you.
- Relationships are the foundation of everything in our lives.
- You need to know how you use your voice and your natural communication style so that you can use it effectively. To wield it for good, wield it for change, and wield it for connection.
Thanks for listening! Share with the people in your life if this landed for you!
- The 5 Love Languages – www.5lovelanguages.com
- Get the book – Naked Communication: Courageously Create the Relationships You Really Want
- Listen to the podcast – www.sagebhobbs.com/podcast
- Episode 37: How I Wrote A Book, Why I Wrote It, and What I Learned – www.sagebhobbs.com/episode-37
- Episode 38: But who are you, really? – www.sagebhobbs.com/episode-38
For (SUPER DUPER appreciated) gold stars: Leave me a rating + review! Just a few short words will help MORE amazing women find the show. Thank you 🙂
Sage brings personal experiences, humor and practical methods for approaching challenging conversations. She is relatable, supportive and authentic – tremendous assets for diversity and inclusion conversations. Sage blended her skillful communication expertise and training, with information and exercises on empathy, equity and social justice to create more inclusive, person-to-person leadership practices.
Sage is the real deal! She listens to words you didn’t even know you said aloud. She is deliberate, strategic, and effortless in her coaching approach, making it incredibly natural to be open to her process and ultimately see change in yourself.
Sage embodies a foundational belief in the power and beauty of humanity and the possibility of all of us continually working toward becoming better versions of ourselves. She is a masterful facilitator.
Sage’s presentation to our group stimulated a momentum that ran through the event – inspiring our group with purpose, passion, inspiration, and fresh tools to bring to the new work year.